WHAT ARE THE MAIN BENEFITS OF CERTIFICATION?
A number of health issues prevalent in the United States today are associated with poor eating habits and nutrition. Successful communication with patients regarding the vital role that healthy eating and nutrition plays in good health is key to improved patient outcomes. However, many healthcare practitioners feel their nutritional education and ability to communicate practical, effective guidance in this area is lacking.
The Certified Culinary Medicine Specialist (CCMS) program provides clinicians with a unique combination of nutritional knowledge and culinary skills so that they can effectively incorporate healthy eating into patients’ diets and deliver optimal patient care.
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS?
- Physicians-Currently registered as a Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathy (DO) in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Nurse Practitioners—Currently registered as a Nurse Practitioner (NP) in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Registered Nurse-Currently registered as a Registered Nurse (RN) in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Physician Assistants-Currently registered as a Physician Assistant (PA) in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Registered Dietitians-Currently registered as a Registered Dietitian (RD) in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Pharmacists-Currently registered as a Pharmacist (PharmD/RPh) in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Certified Diabetes Educators (CDEs)-Currently registered as CDE in the United States or Canada. A copy of current license must accompany application.
- Other nursing professionals may be eligible to pursue the CCMS certification. If you feel that your involvement in nutrition-focused programs is applicable to CCMS, please contact us at email@example.com.
WHAT IS THE TUITION FEE AND WHAT DOES IT INCLUDE?
There is a one-time $2,700 tuition payment required to enroll in the CCMS program. This fee includes access to online nutrition courses via the CCMS website, registration for 4 hands-on teaching kitchen modules, and registration for one Health meets Food: The Culinary Medicine Conference.
IS THERE A PAYMENT PLAN?
We are unable to offer candidates the option to pay in installments because we provide unrestricted access to the library of online courses upon enrollment. However, interested individuals can elect to register and attend the Health meets Food conference and/or hands-on teaching kitchen modules at in order to begin earning credits toward certification. The price the individual paid would be deducted from the CCMS tuition upon enrollment.
HOW DO I COMPLETE THE 60-CREDIT PROGRAM?
Twelve (12) credits must be satisfied by attendance at 4 hands-on teaching kitchen modules. The remaining 48 credits can be satisfied by completing a mix of online courses through the CCMS website and by attending live nutrition and culinary medicine-focused conference sessions at the Health meets Food conference (optional). Additional educational modules and conference opportunities may be added on a rolling basis.
Candidates must also complete 2 approved culinary medicine readings and successfully pass online post-tests based upon those readings. These readings are not accredited and therefore do not count toward the 60 required credits for certification.
IS THE CCMS TRAINING CME ACCREDITED?
CCMS hands-on teaching kitchen modules, online education on the CCMS site, and conference sessions are accredited for CME, CNE, CPE, and CPE for Dietitians. Please note that the two required readings of culinary/nutrition texts are not accredited.
CAN PRIOR NUTRITION COURSEWORK BE USED TO SATISFY SOME OF THE CREDITS?
No. Because the CCMS program is a unique blend of nutrition and culinary medicine content, prior coursework (with the exception of applicable courses from Cardiometabolic Risk Summit, Health meets Food: The Culinary Medicine Conference or hands-on Health meets Food modules) cannot be applied toward CCMS coursework. However, candidates who provide a copy of a previously obtained NBPNS, NBNSC, ACN, or BCNSP certification are required only to complete 12 credit hours of hands-on teaching kitchen modules and 12 additional nutrition credits before applying to take the CCMS examination.
WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS FOR COMPLETING THE REQUIRED HANDS-ON TEACHING KITCHEN MODULES?
Teaching kitchen modules are offered at approved hands-on teaching kitchen events in the United States.
CCMS is currently working with teaching kitchens located throughout the U.S. to create regional hubs at which additional teaching kitchen modules can be offered, providing more convenient access for candidates throughout the country. CCMS candidates will be notified immediately as new teaching kitchen opportunities are confirmed.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF ATTENDING THE CARDIOMETABOLIC RISK SUMMIT (CRS)?
Attending CRS is optional, but it provides a convenient opportunity to earn extra live credits toward the CCMS program and registration to one conference is included in your tuition.
HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO COMPLETE THE PROGRAM?
Candidates have 24 months from the time of enrollment to complete the 60-credit program.
WHAT IS COVERED ON THE FINAL CERTIFICATION EXAMINATION?
The examination will be a comprehensive 100 question multiple-choice test. Candidates will have access to a downloadable handbook in order to prepare, and an online practice test will also be available for a small fee.
A $450 fee will be required when registering for the examination, which is held during three testing periods per year at Prometric testing centers located in cities throughout the United States and Canada.
HOW LONG IS CCMS CERTIFICATION ACTIVE?
The certification is valid for 5 years after successfully passing the examination, at which time additional coursework will be required to maintain certification.
View the program’s hybrid curriculum and steps towards certification.
View the FAQs.